Forever granted a place in cinematic history by winning the first ever Academy Award for Best Picture in 1927 and the only silent film to do so, William Wellman’s silent epic Wings is more than an Oscar® winner, but an epic story of friendship with the type of thrilling action only practical effects can imagine… Hometown best friends Jack (Charles “Buddy” Rogers) and David (Richard Arlen) compete for the affection of a gorgeous dame (Jobyna Ralston), though Jack doesn’t realise that girl next door Mary Preston (Clara Bow) has eyes for him as well. But World War I is soon upon them, so the boys are off to France to fight against the Germans.
Meanwhile, Mary follows Jack into enemy lines as a nurse. Wellman’s epic drama combines the most spectacular of stunts with the most classical of melodrama, along with one of Bow’s greatest performances and the screen debut of Gary Cooper.
The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present this American classic in a beautiful new restoration on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time in the UK.
- SPECIAL DUAL FORMAT (BLU-RAY + DVD) EDITION
- New high-definition 1080p presentation on the Blu-ray and progressive encode on the DVD
- Two optional scores: one by J. S. Zamecnik with sound effects by Ben Burtt, and the other by Gaylord Carter
- Three video documentary pieces on the film’s production, restoration, and airplanes
- 48-PAGE BOOKLET containing a new and exclusive essay on the film by critic and filmmaker Gina Telaroli; an interview with William A. Wellman by Scott Eyman; an excerpt from Wellman’s autobiography; and rare archival imagery