(Josef von Sternberg, 1957)
Release date: 24 July 2023
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK premiere)
The only colour film directed by the great Josef von Sternberg (Morocco), Jet Pilot brings together John Wayne (Hellfighters) and Janet Leigh (Psycho) in a Cold War blend of romance and thrills.
When Soviet defector Anna (Leigh) lands her plane on Colonel Shannon’s (Wayne) base, the two soon fall in love and marry. However, after it comes to light that Anna is still spying for her homeland, the couple flee to Russia, putting Shannon in danger from the Soviet authorities. Soon, Anna must choose between her love for her husband and her love for her country.
Written and produced by Jules Furthman (Blonde Venus), and famous for its extended period of post-production at the hands of studio boss Howard Hughes, Jet Pilot highlights the absurdity of the Cold War, and was hailed by critic Andrew Sarris as a precursor to Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- High Definition remaster
- Two presentations of the film: in the original 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratio; and in the 1.37:1 open matte shooting ratio
- Original mono audio
- Tony Rayns on ‘Jet Pilot’ (2023): in-depth discussion of the film’s protracted production and release
- The Town (1943): Josef von Sternberg’s contribution to the war effort, a short film about a typical small town in the US, made as part of The American Scene film series
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Glenn Kenny, an extract from Joseph von Sternberg’s autobiography, archival interviews with von Sternberg, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and full film credits
- UK premiere on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 3,000 copies for the UK