When an underwater volcanic eruption tears up the sea bed off the coast of Ireland, two treasure hunters make the discovery of a lifetime when they encounter a gigantic prehistoric monster that’s been unleashed from the earth’s crust. After capturing the beast, the pair transport the creature down to London where it’s given the name of “Gorgo” and put on display to an avid public. Little do they realize that Gorgo is just an infant, and that his exponentially larger mother is about to emerge from the depths to avenge the capture of her offspring. As Gorgo’s mother begins her advance on the British capital, not even the considerable might of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces can stop her colossal devastation!
An international co-production between the United Kingdom, United States, and Ireland, visual effects pioneer Eugène Lourié’s (The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Giant Behemoth) GORGO - often referred to as the “British Godzilla” - was one of the first, and arguably one of the best, giant monster films to follow in the wake of Japan’s sci-fi landmark. Between its astonishing, special effects-laden climax, which sees Gorgo’s mother wreak fiery destruction on the streets of Central London, and its unique and unusual ending, GORGO quickly solidified its place in the sci-fi canon, spawning numerous comic book adaptations and spin-offs which further expanded the “Gorgoverse”. Now, newly restored in 4K from its untouched-for-decades original camera negative by the monster maniacs at Vinegar Syndrome, GORGO bursts up from the depths in its worldwide UHD debut, loaded with a fittingly gargantuan array of extras, both old and new.
directed by: Eugène Lourié
starring: Bill Travers, William Sylvester, Vincent Winter, Christopher Rhodes, Joseph O'Conor
1961 / 77 min / 1.85:1 / English Mono
Program Content © 1960 King Brothers Productions LTD.
- 2-disc Region Free Set: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray
- 4K UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range
- Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative
- Sound options: original English mono soundtrack, a brand new commentary track with film historian and cartoonist Stephen R. Bissette and an isolated music & effects track
- "Gorgo Lives!" - film historian and cartoonist Stephen R. Bissette on the legacy of Gorgo
- "The 9th Wonder of the World: The Making of Gorgo" - an archival making-of documentary (extended version)
- "Gorgo: Behind the Scenes" - archival making-of featurette
- "Waiting for Gorgo" - a short film from 2009, directed by Benjamin Craig
- Behind-the-scenes featurette from “Waiting for Gorgo”
- Original theatrical trailer
- Promotional image gallery
- Original production notes - video gallery
- Lobby cards & posters - video gallery
- Pressbook - video gallery
- Photos - video gallery
- Gorgo: The Monster from the Sea - video comic book
- Reversible cover artwork
- English SDH subtitles