The first feature that Buster Keaton wrote, directed, and starred in, Three Ages spoofs D.W. Griffith’s historical epic Intolerance. Like that film, Three Ages follows multiple narratives across different historical eras, which Keaton packs to the brim with incredible stunts and hilarious visual gags.
Across three eras – the Stone Age, Ancient Rome, and “modern times” – Keaton competes for the love of a woman (Margaret Leahy) whilst having to defend himself from a nasty bully (Wallace Beery).
The Masters of Cinema is proud to present yet another Keaton masterpiece in its UK debut on Blu-ray, from a stunning restoration completed in 2022 by the Cohen Film Collection.
- Limited Edition Slipcase [2000 Copies]
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a new restoration by the Cohen Film Collection
- Reconstructed original intertitles
- Brand new audio commentary by film historian and writer David Kalat
- This Side of Impossible – brand new video essay by David Cairns
- Under the Flat Hat – brand new video essay by Fiona Watson
- The Six Ages of Comedy – brand new featurette based on an essay by Keaton
- Brand new interview with Ian Lavender
- Man’s Genesis – 1912 short by D.W. Griffith that is parodied in Three Ages
- Video essay on the film’s locations by John Bengtson
- Archival recordings of Keaton
- A collectors booklet featuring new writing by Philip Kemp and Imogen Sara Smith