NOTE - slight damage. 1 per customer or entire order cancelled!
Bruno, an up and coming film composer, has been hired to write the score to a new horror movie. The film’s director, Sandra, suggests that he move into a spooky and secluded villa, so as to get extra creative inspiration. However, life begins to imitate art as a vicious killer starts bumping off anyone and everyone who happens to pay Bruno a visit. As each death leaves more clues, while opening up more possibilities as to potential suspects, Bruno begins to believe that the film he’s been hired to work on may itself be the key to unlocking the mystery...
The first major international hit for director Lamberto Bava (Macabre), A BLADE IN THE DARK was initially conceived as a TV mini-series but quickly deemed far too violent for the airwaves by Italian censors, and was instead re-edited for theatrical release. A classically structured giallo, albeit one taking stylistic cues from the then booming slasher craze, complete with an array of elaborate and bloody murders, the film features Andrea Occhipinti (Conquest), Fabiola Toledo (Caligula: The Untold Story), and actor turned director, Michele Soavi (Stage Fright). Co-scripted by prolific Italian genre writer Dardano Sacchetti (The Bronx Warriors) and featuring a pulsing score by the legendary Guido and Maurizio De Angelis (Ironmaster), Vinegar Syndrome is proud to present the world UHD debut of this 80s giallo classic, newly restored in 4K from its original camera negative and presented for the first time on disc in both its extended TV version as well as its long unavailable international theatrical cut, all supplemented by a host of new and archival bonus materials!
directed by: Lamberto Bava
starring: Andrea Occhipinti, Anny Papa, Fabiola Toledo, Michele Soavi, Valeria Cavalli, Stanko Molnar, Lara Lamberti
1983 / 109 min / 1.66:1 / English & Italian Mono with translated English subtitles
- 4-disc Region Free Set: 4K Ultra HD x2 / Blu-ray x2
- 4K UHD content presented in High-Dynamic-Range
- Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative
- Both versions of the feature film presented on both 4K UHD and BD
- Presented in both its Italian and English soundtracks for both the 109-minute Uncut Extended Version and the slightly cutdown Theatrical Version
- Commentary track with The Hysteria Continues for the Extended Italian TV Edit
- Commentary track with film historian and author Kat Ellinger for the Extended Italian TV Edit
- "Don't Go Down the Stairs" - an interview with director Lamberto Bava
- "House" - an interview with screenwriter Dardano Sacchetti
- "Lights in an Empty House" - an interview with cinematographer Gianlorenzo Battaglia
- "The Gothic Slashers of Lamberto Bava" - a video essay by film historian and author Samm Deighan
- "Behind the Blade" - an archival interview with Lamberto Bava and Dardano Sacchetti
- "All the Colors of Giallo" a feature-length documentary exploring Giallo films directed by Federico Caddeo
- Original theatrical trailers in Italian and English
- 40-page perfect bound book with essays by Caroline Kopko, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Dana Reinoos
- Reversible sleeve artwork
- Translated and English SDH subtitles