The Shiver of the Vampires (US Limited Edition Blu-ray)
Director: Jean Rollin
Cast: Sandra Julien, Jean-Marie Durand, Jacques Robiolles, Michel Delahaye, Marie-Pierre Castel
Jean Rollin’s third feature film, 1971’s The Shiver of the Vampires (Le Frisson des vampires), established themes and visual motifs to which he would return throughout his career, blending horror, passion, fairy tale, and surrealism to create his unique cinema of the fantastique.
Arriving at a decrepit chateau for their honeymoon, young newlyweds undergo a series of surreal and sinister encounters, and come to realize that they are the prey of the resident vampires...
With performances from Sandra Julien (I Am Frigid... Why?) and Marie-Pierre Castel (Lips of Blood), ravishing cinematography from Rollin’s regular collaborator Jean-Jacques Renon, and a thrilling jazz-rock score by Acanthus, The Shiver of the Vampiresis regarded as one of Rollin’s greatest films.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
• Original French and English mono soundtracks
• Audio commentary with director Jean Rollin (2006)
• Audio commentary with Sylvia Kristel: From Emmanuelle to Chabrol author Jeremy Richey (2023)
• Virginie Sélavy on ‘The Shiver of the Vampires’ (2023): appreciation by the author and film historian
• Rouge Vif (2023): updated documentary on the making of The Shiver of the Vampires by Rollin’s personal assistant, Daniel Gouyette
• Introduction by Jean Rollin (1998): filmed appraisal by the director
• Interview with Jean Rollin by Patricia MacCormack (2004): lengthy discussion filmed in Paris
• Deleted scenes: sex sequences filmed for the export market
• Original French, English and German theatrical trailers
• Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
• New and improved English translation subtitles for the French soundtrack
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by David Hinds, an archival introduction by Jean Rollin, an archival interview with the director by Peter Blumenstock, an archival interview with actor Marie-Pierre Castel, Andy Votel on Acanthus, the mysterious group behind the film’s soundtrack, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and full film credits
• Limited edition of 2,000 numbered units for the US
All extras subject to change