The arrival of a travelling circus sends ripples through the inhabitants of a remote Keralan village. Aravindan Govindan’s poetic and allegorical film The Circus Tent explores the often-marginalised lives and hopes of both the villagers and the circus troupe.
In semi-documentary style, Aravindan worked closely with real circus people and artistes, travelling with them to the village of Thirunavaya on the banks of India’s Bharathappuzha river – and created one of Indian cinema’s most lyrical masterpieces.
Once thought lost, Aravindan’s joyous film in now fully restored and preserved for future generations.
BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• The Circus Tent (Thamp̄, 1978) presented from the new 4K restoration by Film Heritage Foundation.
• Exclusive, newly filmed interview with photographer Ramu Aravindan, son of the legendary Aravindan Govindan.
• The Circus Tent at Cannes 2022: Shivendra Singh Dungarpur and actor Jalaja interviewed by Anupama Chopra for Film Companion.
• Booklet with new writing by filmmaker and Film Heritage Foundation founder Shivendra Singh Dungarpur.
• New and improved English subtitle translation.
• World premiere on Blu-ray.
• Region free Blu-ray (A/B/C).