Károly Makk's beloved film, based on the autobiographical writings of Tibor Déry, is a meditation on time, memory, love and loss.
Two women - a bedridden mother and a loyal wife - await the return of political prisoner János. His elderly mother believes him to be working abroad; his devoted wife knows the painful truth of his absence… and fears she may never see him alive again.
Beautifully played by two giants of Hungarian cinema, Lili Darvas and Mari Törõcsik, the film is a subtle yet powerful exploration of how love sustains life, even in times of fear and uncertainty. Perfectly realised, with luminous cinematography and innovative editing, Makk’s tender masterpiece is a landmark of international cinema.
Love (Szerelem) comes to Blu-ray for the first time anywhere in a gorgeous new 4K restoration.
Blu-ray Special features:
• Love (Szerelem, 1971) presented from a new 4K restoration created by the National Film Institute - Film Archive, Hungary.
• Károly Makk on Love (2005): the renowned filmmaker discusses the film.
• Audio commentary with Károly Makk and professor Gábor Gelencsér.
• Love returns to Cannes (2016): a film on the history and restoration of Love.
• Archival newsreel footage of Hungarian film week in Sorrento, 1971.
• 20-page booklet with writing on the film by Graeme Hobbs and Agnes Sajti.
• New and improved English subtitle translation.
• World premiere on Blu-ray.
• Region free Blu-ray (A/B/C)