Presented from a brand new 4K restoration of the film, Second Run presents the stunning debut feature film of the late, great Czech filmmaker Miloš Forman (A Blonde in Love, The Fireman’s Ball, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Amadeus).
A wry and provocative comedy set in 1960s Czechoslovakia, Black Peter explores the passions and confusions of teenage life. Peter is tentatively taking his first steps into the adult world; he has a new job and a new focus for his burgeoning erotic fantasies - provoking conflict with the older generation. This key work of Forman’s emerging vital talent brought to the screen something that Czechoslovak filmgoers weren’t used to: an authentic testimony about the lives of young people.
With a cast of mainly non-professional actors, Black Peter conjures up a naturalistic and witty portrait of everyday life under totalitarianism. Full of charming performances, youthful spontaneity and a rock’n’roll soundtrack, Black Peter helped launch the internationally acclaimed Czechoslovak New Wave.
Blu-ray Special features:
• Presented from a brand new 4K restoration of the film from original materials by the Czech National Film Archive.
• Life As It Is: Miloš Forman on his Czech films: part one of an archival film-by-film interview, newly edited for this release with never-before-seen footage.
• All-new audio commentary by film historian Michael Brooke.
• New filmed interview with actress Pavla Martínková.
• 20-page booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jonathan Owen.
• New and improved English subtitle translation.
• World Premiere on Blu-ray.
• Region Free (A/B/C)