"A valuable and lively resource. Jeans sorts truth from fiction with a sure hand and does full justice to both." ―Peter Stanford, President Emeritus, National Maritime Historical Society
“A veritable sourcebook of nautical history, beliefs, and heritage. Every true mariner will get lost in this book.”―Boating
Seafaring Lore and Legend is a storehouse of wonders for those who love the sea. From Noah’s Ark to Thor Heyerdahl’s raft, from Atlantis to the Northwest Passage, author Peter Jeans scours the ages and the seven seas for fanciful, inspiring, and bizarre tales of sea monsters, ghost ships, lost continents, castaways, pirates, explorers, superstitions, and customs.
Discover the surprising truths behind:
- The origins of naval salutes and the Beaufort Scale
- Flogging a dead horse and other oddities of nautical custom
- Sea chanties, scurvy, and the hardships of life at sea
- Infamous and noteworthy sea captains and their ships
- Famous wrecks and mutinies
- Mermaids, sirens, and sea nymphs
- Nautical superstitions such as the albatross and Fiddler’s Green
And much more
This is a book you can open anywhere to savor for a few minutes or an afternoon. But be careful: it's easy to lose track of time at sea.