...and other early works by Marcell Jankovics
Legendary Hungarian animator Marcell Jankovics created a definitive masterpiece of world cinema with this psychedelic adaptation of the Hungarian folk tale.
Traversing an otherworldly canvas, Son of the White Mare follows mythic folk heroes Treeshaker, Stonecrumbler, and Irontemperer as they descend into the perilous Underworld on an epic quest to battle the forces of ancient evil and save the cosmos.
An astonishing fantasy epic, this kaleidoscopic medley of groundbreaking animation styles comes to home video for the first time ever in the UK as part of the Masters of Cinema series. Presented from a 2019 4K restoration supervised and approved by director Marcell Jankovics, this release also includes Jankovics’ debut feature–and the first ever Hungarian animated feature film–Johnny Corncob [János Vitéz] (1973), as well as a selection of his short films.
- Limited Edition O-Card slipcase
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a director approved 4K digital restoration
- Johnny Corncob (János Vitéz) – Jankovics first animated feature, and the first ever Hungarian animated feature film, is also presented here in 1080p from a director approved 4K digital restoration
- Sisyphus – short film
- The Struggle (Küzdők) – short film
- Dreams on Wings – short film created as a commercial for Air India
- Optional English Subtitles
- Brighter Colors – extensive interview with Marcell Jankovics from the Hungarian National Film Archive, filmed in 2020
- Making of János Vitéz – archival featurette from 1973
- The Director Talks – featurette with Jankovics produced by the Hungarian National Film Archive
- A collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by film writer Rich Johnson