After his work directing the action sequences for King Hu’s Palme D’or winning A Touch of Zen, Sammo Hung worked with director Huang Feng (Lady Whirlwind, Hapkido) on a series of martial arts masterpieces which continuously broke new ground for action cinema, the culmination of which was The Shaolin Plot. After the release of this film, Sammo (who also has one of his first major acting roles here, playing a deadly monk with an unusual choice of weaponry) began his own career as a director and would play a huge role in the “Golden Age” of Hong Kong cinema – an era which revolutionised action filmmaking around the world.
Hong Kong movie veteran Chen Hsing (The Iron-Fisted Monk) plays a tyrannical ruler with the aim of collecting all existing Chinese martial arts manuals in order to obtain ultimate power. After obtaining the Wu Tang manual, he sets his sights on the Shaolin Temple and the secrets of their fighting style. Two Shaolin Monks (Casanova Wong and Yeong-moon Kwon) must team up with a Wu Tang fighter (James Tien) to defeat the villainous despot.
On home video for the first time in the UK from a new 2K restoration, Eureka Classics is proud to present a towering classic that deserves to be recognised as one of the best and most important works of martial arts cinema.
- Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]
- Original Mandarin mono audio
- Optional English dubbed audio
- Optional English Subtitles, newly translated for this release
- New feature length audio commentary by Asian film experts Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) & Michael Worth
- New feature length audio commentary by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
- Original Hong Kong theatrical trailer
- Original export trailer
- A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver [2000 copies]