A cult comic masterpiece from acclaimed director Philippe de Broca, King of Hearts was a flop upon initial release in France, but was a smash hit in the US, where it ended up running for five years straight.
During the latter part of World War I, Private Charles Plumpick (Alan Bates) is chosen to go into the French town of Marville and disconnect a bomb that the German army has planted. However, Charles is chased by some Germans and finds himself holed up at the local insane asylum, where the inmates are convinced that he is the “King of Hearts.” Feeling obligated to help the inmates, Charles attempts to lead them out of town, but they are afraid to leave and frolic about the streets in gay costumes. Will Charles be able to deactivate the bomb in time and save his newfound friends?
Featuring a score by legendary film composer Georges Delerue and also starring Geneviève Bujold (Anne of the Thousand Days, Dead Ringers), King of Hearts is presented here from a gorgeous new 4K restoration in its UK debut as part of The Masters of Cinema Series, in a special Dual Format edition.
- 1080p presentation from the Cohen Media Group 4K restoration (with a progressive encode on the DVD)
- Original LPCM mono audio
- Optional English subtitles
- Feature length audio commentary by film critic Wade Major
- Geneviève Bujold interview - a 2017 interview with the Academy Award nominated actress
- Pierre Lhomme interview - King of Hearts' director of photography discusses the film and working with Philippe de Broca
- Michelle de Broca interview
- Trailer for the UK 2018 theatrical release
- A collector's booklet featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp