Giorgio Pisani, a journalist, has just returned from an international assignment only to discover that, in his absence, his wife has died during childbirth. However, a seemingly unavoidable tragedy takes an unexpectedly sinister turn when Lydia Franzi, his wife's doctor, reveals that Giorgio is sterile and therefore couldn't have fathered his wife's child. Soon after learning this terrible news, a mysterious, black-clad killer begins stalking the city, viciously murdering pregnant women who were in the same maternity clinic as Giorgio's deceased wife. Could Giorgio, in a fit of guilt-ridden madness, be responsible for these horrendous crimes, or is he an unwitting participant in the sinister plan of an even more wicked culprit?
An exceptionally mean-spirited giallo made at the height of the genre’s golden age, Stelvio Massi’s (Arabella Black Angel) FIVE WOMEN FOR THE KILLER stars British character actor Francis Matthews (The Revenge of Frankenstein) alongside Pascale Rivault (The Beast) and Eurosleaze stalwart, Howard Ross (The New York Ripper). Barely seen outside of its native Italy, Vinegar Syndrome proudly presents the world Blu-ray debut of this equally nasty, shocking, and highly stylized whodunit, newly restored in 4K from rare archival film elements of the never-on-video original theatrical cut, and featuring a host of new and exclusive interviews.
directed by: Stelvio Massi
starring: Francis Matthews, Pascale Rivault, Howard Ross, Giorgio Albertazzi, Katia Christine, Catherine Diamant, Gabriella Lepori, Maria Cumani Quasimodo
1974 / 100 min / 1.85:1 / Italian Mono with English subtitles
- Region Free Blu-ray
- Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm interpositive
- Brand new commentary track with film historians Eugenio Ercolani and Troy Howarth
- "My Name is Howard" - An interview with actor Renato Rossini (20 mins)
- "The Massi Touch" - An interview with filmmaker Danilo Massi, son and frequent collaborator of director Stelvio Massi (25 mins)
- "Working with Stelvio" - A portrait piece on Stelvio Massi with actor Luc Merenda (13 mins)
- "Five Women for a Giallo" - Director and film historian Luigi Cozzi on Five Women for the Killer and the evolution of the Giallo film (22 mins)
- "Cinematographers in Arms" - A portrait piece on Stelvio Massi with friend and fellow director/cinematographer Roberto Girometti (13 mins)
- Gore inserts from the re-edited version of FIVE WOMEN FOR THE KILLER
- Reversible sleeve artwork
- Newly translated English subtitles