The last defence. The last hope. The battle for the future of the world has begun.
In the 1980s, faced with the demise of the drive-in and the rise of the multiplex, New World Pictures the independent studio established by Roger Corman increasingly relied on smaller-scale productions, made with an eye to the cable TV and home video markets. Among these was Def-Con 4, an example of so-called Canuxploitation or Canadian exploitation cinema, riding on the coat-tails of the boom in post-apocalyptic disaster movies that began in the previous decade.
Two months after the planet is ravaged by nuclear war, astronauts Howe (Tim Choate), Jordan (Kate Lynch, The Twilight Zone) and Walker (John Walsch, Blow Out) are forced to return to earth now an apocalyptic wasteland consumed by radiation and roamed by cannibal gangs. Forced into desperate pacts with unlikely allies, among them eccentric survivalist Vinny (Maury Chaykin, WarGames), the astronauts must draw on all their resourcefulness to survive this brave new world.
Bearing more than a passing resemblance to George Miller s Ozploitation classic Max Mad, Def-Con 4 is an inventive and action-packed low budget sci-fi romp, elevated by a pounding score by New World stalwart Christopher Young (Hellraiser) and making its UK High Definition debut with this brand new restoration from Arrow Video.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- Brand new 2K restoration from the original 35mm interpositive
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original lossless mono soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brave New World, a new video interview with New World Pictures editor Michael Spence
- Nemesis Descending, a new video interview with composer Christopher Young
- New video interview with author Chris Poggiali on the history and legacy of New World Pictures
- Theatrical trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin