Often acknowledged as one of the best prison films ever made, Birdman of Alcatraz was director John Frankenheimer’s first huge success and received rave reviews for its performances, cinematography (by the great Burnett Guffey; From Here to Eternity, Bonnie and Clyde) and Frankenheimer’s directing.
Burt Lancaster stars as the notorious prisoner, Robert Stroud, sentenced to a life of solitary confinement for murdering a prison guard. When he finds an injured sparrow in the prison yard, Stroud nurses it back to health and discovers a new calling in life. Over the years he becomes a renowned ornithologist, and even a respected author, achieving a greater sense of purpose behind prison walls than many in the outside world will ever know.
With an all-star cast that includes Karl Malden (A Streetcar Named Desire), Thelma Ritter (Pickup on South Street), Telly Savalas The Dirty Dozen) and Edmond O’Brien (The Barefoot Contessa), The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present John Frankenheimer’s Birdman of Alcatraz for the first time on Blu-ray in the UK.
- 1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray, with a progressive encode on the DVD.
- LPCM mono soundtrack (Uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Audio commentary with film historian and editor Paul Seydor, moderated by Twilight Time's Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
- Illusion of Freedom: Richard H. Kline on John Frankenheimer’s “Birdman of Alcatraz” (29 mins) – a new video piece on the film
- An exclusive new video interview with film historian Sheldon Hall
- Original theatrical trailer
- A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Travis Crawford, as well as a selection of archival imagery from the film’s production